Monday, April 5, 2021

Okie Wheel of the Year: April 5 2021

Blooming Redbuds and the moon
Last quarter of the Redbud Moon and the redbuds are out in all their glory. The Tallgrass Prairie Preserve says that Easter weekend is a typical time for new baby bison to be born. They had one born a little earlier than usual on March 23 and I expect their FB page will feature more adorable baby bison pics soon. The Wildlife dept says spring turkey hunting season opens April 6 for parts of the state, but turkey numbers are down so they have information for hunters on what areas are least impacted by low numbers and ongoing research into the reasons for decreasing populations.  The Oklahoma Biological Survey started their citizen science Spring BioBlitz, where citizens around the state can participate by recording the birds, trees, fungus and things they see online to win prizes. 

fringed puccoon
Meanwhile, thanks to the lack of recent rain and incredibly low humidity levels for this time of year, I’ve been out watering my gardens every single day. That’s not usually necessary this time of year. The Forestry dept reported thousands of acres burned due to wildfires around the state last week. The end of March tends to be windy, but usually those winds come with sleet or hail. I still have a few trees and plants that I’m not ready to give up as winter storm casualties because they may be waiting for spring rains to wake up.  But other plants are right on schedule and filling the land with life.  The drier weather wildflowers are starting to wake up.  The scent of lilacs fills the air.  My haphazard garden is sprouting.  

I spilled the radish seeds
I find myself outside every day busy with some task or other while the crows swirl their social dances in the gusty wind and graceful turkey buzzards float high on the strong currents.  Every day it seems there's a new sound: a bird returning from winter homes, waking insects, new frogs.   And every day I find myself with some new project or gathering or idea sprouting up for the future.  And every night I'm tired, but a good tired.  Too tired to think of anything else to write. 





a froth of lilacs in the air





No comments:

Post a Comment